LIL’ JOHN TAKE THE CHECKERS AT MOUNTAIN VIEW June 20, 2020
Spring City, TN (June 20th): Saturday night was the Southern Throwback Racing Weekend at Mountain View Raceway. With cheaper admission prices in all areas of the track, the crowd was outstanding and was ready to go for a good night of racing action.
This week it was the Late Models who was on the schedule for this week. In qualifying it was #J0 John Owenby setting fast time with a lap of 11.360. It was a very good battle for fast time, as the top 10 qualifyers were only seperated by .562. In the 29 lap feature, it was Owenby leading al the laps and powering to the checkers for the win. #144 Josh Collins finished in second, #3 Brian Pritchard was third, #84 Ryan Tims fourth, and #31 Jarrett Choate rounded out the top five.
The Sportsman saw a #2 Josh Walker set fast time with a lap of 11.530. On the start it was #17J Justin Cameron jumping into the lead. Walker stayed glued to Cameron, as the rest of the field fought and battled for position. At the end of the feature is was Cameron winning his second feature in a row, with Dixon in second. #56 Andy Standridge finished in third, #37 Michael Barnett was fourth, and #J5 John Smith rounded out the top five. For winning his second point feature in a row, Cameron can’t start any better than third in the next race he runs at the track.
In the B-Sportsman class, it was #6 Kevin Fisher setting fast time at 12.347. The 15 lap feature saw Fisher jump into the lead. Second fastest qualifyer #5 Tyler Dixon was putting some pressure on Fisher at the beginning. As the laps went by, Fisher’s lead grew. A late race caution brought the field back together. Dixon did all he could to get by Fisher but was unable to, as Fisher would go on and win his second straight feature by a close .456 over Dixon, and lapping the field up to the third place car. #444 Darryl Shelton finished third, #9 Dwight Bevins was fourth, and #22 Chris Standrige rounded out the top five. After winning 2 feature point races in a row, Fisher can’t start the next feature race he runs in any better than third.
The B-hobby class had some real intense racing. #20 Eric Hughes and #15 Lamar Hughes won the heat races to start on the front row for the 18 lap feature. The feature started with the Hughes brothers going into the first corner side by side. Third starting #BR549 Cody Moffett, last weeks feature winner, went down under Eric and it went three wide. But in the process he got into Eric Hughes, and as a result Eric spun out. This brought out an immediate caution. Eric Hughes’ night would be over and he would take his damaged car to the pits. That made the field do a complete restart, with Moffett going on the pole beside of Lamar Hughes. On the restart, Moffett took the lead going into turn one. In turns one and turn, contact between Moffett and Lamar Hughes, brought out another caution, and found Lamar with heavy front end damage. He was able to continue. Moffett jumped into the lead at the restart, and dominated the rest of the race, for his second feature win in a row. #13 DJ MCMahan finished second, #X14 was third, #B12 Buck Hoffman finished in fourth, and Lamar Hughes rounded out the top five. Since he has won for the second week in a row, Moffett can start the next feature race he runs any better than third.
Once again #30 Jonathon Sims was the man to beat in the Thunder class. He won his heat race, and took the lead on lap 2 of the 18 lap feature for his 4th win of the year at the track. A $100 bounty had been placed on Sims after the heat races, but no one was able to collect it on this night. The bounty will go up next week, and after winning 2 feature races in a row, Sims can start the feature race no better than third next week. #6 Orion Mount won the other heat race and led the first two laps of the feature before Sims took the lead. Mount also finished second in the feature, #1 Cody Satterfield was third, #73 Eric Honeycutt fourth, and #52 Clayton Forsyth rounded out the top five.
The 4-Cylinder class saw a new winner in victory lane, #46 Ricky won the heat race, and cruised to the 18 lap feature win. #111 Billy Tittsworth finished in second, #72 Walter Walsh was third, #328 Joseph Harmon was fourth, and #20 Donny Lowe rounded out the top five.
In Front Wheel Drive racing, it was #1 Jacob Sharp picking up his third feature race win of the year at the track. What made the win so nice, was that Sharp has to go to the tail of the field on lap 6 for bringing out a caution. Sharp then drove back to the lead at the final stages of the race for the win. Second went to #33H Aaron Herbert, #11 Tyler Walton was third, #13B Steve Hurley finished fourth, and #13 Jason Crowder rounded out the top five.
The Classics were at the track this week and they sure didn’t disappoint. The heat races were won by #51 Adam Engel and #113 Chris McKinney. The feature however was all Engel, as he won by a big margin. McKinney finished in second, #515 Michael Millsap was third, #37 Shane Taylor fourth, and #35 Michael Sise rounded out the top five.
Next week at Mountain View Raceway, the Crate Racin USA Late Model Series will be in action for a $3,000 to win show. Details will be announced soon. Check us out on Facebook at Mountain View Raceway for the information about next weeks race. Check out our website as well, at www.mountainviewraceway.com
MOUNTAIN VIEW RACEWAY RESULTS
SPRING CITY, TN
1. J0 JOHN OWENBY 2. 144 JOSH COLLINS 3. 3 BRIAN PRITCHARD 4. 84 RYAN TIMS 5. 31 JARRETT CHOATE 6. 24 BARRY GOODMAN 7. 11 CRUZ SKINNER 8. 00 RUBEN MAYFIELD 9. 22 RICH STANDRIDGE 10. J29 JERRY HENDRIX 11. 17 MIKE BISHOP 12. 14 LLOYD SINGLETON 13. 63 MICHAEL LUNA
SPORTMAN LATE MODEL:
1. 17J JUSTIN CAMERON 2. 2 JOSH WALKER 3. 56 ANDY STANDRIDGE 4. 37 MICHAEL BARNETT 5. J5 JOHN SMITH 6. 7M MICHAEL CLEMENTS 7. 67 CHRIS PEAK 8. 83 CHAD MILLER 9. 1 NATHAN BOWMAN 10. 11 DON VANWINKLE 11. 30 BILLY CHASTAIN 12. 73 BRAD DOUGLAS 13. 629 LANDON GENTRY DNS: 1G GENE HULGAN JR
1. 6 KEVIN FISHER 2. 5 TYLER DIXON 3. 444 DARRYL SHELTON 4. 9 DWIGHT BIVENS 5. 22 CHRIS STANDRIDGE 6. J28 CHRISTIAN JAMES 7. 67 LARRY SAMUELSON 8. 76 DAVID PEAK 9. 29 LUKE WILLIAMS DNS: 73 HAROLD DOUGLAS DNS: 13 DYLAN MORGAN
1. BR549 CODY MOFFETT 2. 13 DJ McMAHAN 3. X14 DRIVER UNKNOWN 4. B12 BUCK HOFFMAN 5. 15 LAMAR HUGHES 6. 187 NATE HICKS 7. 21 DONALD WIMBERLY 8. OO RICKY WEBB 9. ERIC HUGHES DNS: 556 COLBY YARGER DNS: 28 SPENCER WELLS
1. 30 JONATHAN SIMS 2. 6 ORION MOUNT 3. 1 CODY SATTERFIELD 4. 73 ERIC HONEYCUTT 5. 52 CLAYTON FORSYTH 6. 5 MICHAEL JENKINS DNS: 8W BLAKE WRIGHT DNS: 17 SPENCER WALTON III
1. 46 RICKY HARMON 2. 111 BILLY TITTSWORTH 3. 72 WALTER WALSH 4. 328 JOSEPH HARMON 5. 20 DONNY LOWE 6. 72X JAMES BRIDENBAKER DNS: 51 BRAD HAMILTON DNS: SHANE POPPLIN
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE:
1. 1 JACOB SHARP 2. 33H AARON HERBERT 3. 11 TYLER WALTON 4. 13B STEVE HURLEY 5. 13 JASON CROWDER 6. B21 DUSTY BRANSTETTER 7. 21 DUSTIN DUNCAN 8. 46 CODY RECTOR 9. P15 LARRY PATTERSON
1. 51 ADAM ENGEL 2. 113 CHRIS McKINNEY 3. 515 MICHAEL MILLSAP 4. 37 SHANE TAYLOR 5.35 MICHAEL SISE 6. 00 MAC LOCKHART 7. SHAUN SISE